Dunvegan Thought Spot

In the research The Dunvegan Group conducts to support our CCR (Customer Care & Retention) programs, we discover articles, blog posts and videos which, although not directly related to our work, are thought provoking or concern matters you may want to think about.  ‘Thought Spot’ covers a broad range of subjects.

The posts in ‘Thought Spot’ are selected by Olev Wain, Ph.D., VP of The Dunvegan Group. 

We welcome your feedback!

Reasons for Sending Handwritten Notes and Letters

With the domination of the Internet and social media as a communication medium, the art of handwritten letters and notes delivered by snail-mail, seems to have taken a back seat to instantaneous electronic communications.

Whenever I open my mailbox and I see an envelope that has been addressed by hand, I am more likely to open it first. Usually it contains a personal communication from a friend or relative.

Can this approach be taken for more effective business communications?

The answer is “yes”.

Writing on americanexpress.com, Carla Turchetti made the following points in support of the handwritten note or card:

Use handwritten notes to reach out to prospective clients and to say thank you to vendors and clients. Email is too easy to ignore. Phone calls can be invasive and are more challenging to schedule. Letters are hard to ignore and not invasive.

Taking the time to write something by hand makes the recipient feel special.

Handwritten notes can be more convincing and powerful than the actual message.

Handwritten notes remind us to slow down and take note … of our surroundings, our customers, and our community and clients

On a personal level as well there are good reasons for sending handwritten notes and letters.

Writing on huffingtonpost.com on May 15 2015, Traci Bild provided several reasons.

“1. A Lifetime Keepsake: Personal handwritten notes grow rarer by the day. According to the U.S. Postal Service’s annual survey, the average home only received a personal letter once every seven weeks in 2010, down from once every two weeks in 1987. In a world where people seem to have everything, words on paper, sealed with a stamp, can be far more valuable than any material item purchased.

2. Your Heart on Paper: In a wired world — where emails, tweets and text messages are more accessible than handwritten notes — there is something magical about reading words written in longhand.

3. The Ultimate Surprise: Let’s be honest: How do you feel when someone handwrites you a note? Imagine the person you write walking to their mailbox, opening it and finding a letter inscribed to them from you. It will be the best part of their day!

4. A Feeling of Importance: What people want more than anything is to feel validated and to know they matter. Your handwritten letter will send a clear message: You are important and you do matter to me.

5. It’s Fun! Purchase beautiful stationary that reflects your personality, buy interesting stamps and try out a sealing wax stamp to secure the envelope. I have a butterfly and a heart and it’s like putting a cherry on top!

6. No Regrets: How many times have you missed the opportunity to say what needed to be said, only to find it was too late? Make a point of letting people you care about, who have influenced and shaped your life know how you feel.”

And one final point. You should keep the handwritten cards and letters you receive.

I have letters my parents wrote to each other during World War II when they were separated for over four years. Reading these letters today allows me to reconnect with them . . . they passed away over 20 years ago.

Your thoughts?

Image courtesy of Eerik at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Relevant links:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openforum/articles/the-forgotten-power-of-handwritten-notes/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/traci-bild/5-reasons-to-write-a-handwritten-letter-now-not-later_b_7284236.html

Return to list

1 Comments

1. Peter Wright

Feb. 11, 2017

Good advice Olev, receiving a handwritten envelope is such a rare experience that I always open it immediately. If there is a personal note inside that's a bonus that makes my day.

Leave a Reply